This is a detailed guide on the top marketable careers in Architecture.
The 21st century has seen a lot of buildings than any other century. Businesses are sprouting, innovations are developing, developing countries are building new structures, people are building new companies and enlarging the existing ones.
Personal houses are everywhere as people now see the need to build their houses. All these are made possible with the help of architects.
Without architects, we cannot successfully build our houses; architects are always involved from the initial stage of planning a building to the conclusion stage.
They work closely with clients to design new buildings or complete extensions or alterations to existing ones, ensuring that they are safe, cost-effective, and functional.
This article discusses the top ten architectural careers that are marketable, as well as the details of the profession.
How To Become An Architect
Architects are not born, they are made. To become a certified architect, there are procedures to follow to start earning good.
First of all, you must graduate from an accredited university or polytechnic. Normal courses in the architect bachelor program include project management, building systems, environmental planning, and impact analysis.
After your bachelor’s degree, you can enroll in a Master’s program to further learn the rudiments of architecture.
Enrolling in another architectural program will widen your horizon and open you up to many tremendous opportunities.
Moreover, for people whose first degree is not in architecture, but want to become an architect, you can enroll in an architecture master’s degree program to get started.
Duties of An Architect
Architects are creators who are well vested in the knowledge of building and designing.
They are responsible for the drafting of architectural plans, to the design and construction of buildings and structures following the construction standard.
Architects are not only concerned about the construction and designing of structures and buildings, they also consider the durability, safety, and functionality of structures they erect.
Architects are not supposed to compromise the standard of building to suit their selfish interests, as these will bring untold disaster to the occupants in no distant time. The duties of architects are:
1. They supervise architectural projects to ensure that they follow the original vision for the design and also meet the proposed standard.
2. They carry out researches and adhere to laws governing the practice of architecture in their areas.
3. They make use of computer software to sketch models of structures and examine different construction approaches.
4. They coordinate construction workers and provide them templates to follow in the building process.
5. They examine cost estimation, land availability, and the environmental impact of a structure.
6. They meet with clients to talk about project objectives, needs, and budgets.
7. They prepare and present design proposals, including comprehensive drawings of completed buildings, renovations, or restorations.
8. They Meet with construction experts and clients to discuss the possibility of designs
9. They determine the materials needed for the construction of projects
10. They use computer-aided design software to create blueprints and images
11. They work with contractors, surveyors, and building service engineers to oversee the construction process and bring it to reality.
12. They resolve problems that may come up during construction.
13. Architects plan and design structures such as corporate offices, schools, universities, and personal buildings.
14. They can construct factories, design landscapes, and even refurbish old structures to meet the present need.
15. Architects develop construction plans using both technical skills and creativity to design beautiful structures.
What You Can Do With Your Architectural Degree
There are many things architects can do with their degrees and skills. They are not only limited to drawing building plans but to carry out other functions. With your architectural qualification, you can become one of the followings
- building surveyor
- commercial/residential surveyor
- construction manager
- lecturer in higher institution
- conservation officer
- landscape architect
- planning and development surveyor
- production designer theatre/television/film, structural architect
- Town planner,
- Architectural Technologist
- Interior designer
- Estates manager
- Project manager
- Property developer
- Housing Consultant, etc.
Below are the soft skills you need to have as an architect
- Attention to Details
- Excellent design and drawing skills and proficiency with computer-aided design (CAD)
- Ability to Work With three-Dimensional designs;
- Knowledge of Building Codes
- Written and Oral Communication Skills
- Ability to Work Well Under Pressure
- Willingness to Work Long Hours
- Analytical skills
- Problem Solving Skills
- Strong Leadership Skills
- Project Management, organizational and planning Skills
- Ability to work well within a team of other professionals
- Mathematical skills, etc.
Top Ten Careers In Architecture That Are Marketable
Below are the top ten architectural businesses that are saleable
1. Interior And Spatial Designing
Interior and Spatial Designing is one of the most marketable architectural careers as new buildings are erected daily.
Interior and spatial designers creatively design and refurbish interior spaces, fixtures, and fittings. They apply their project management skills to ensure that they succinctly and beautifully design the interior and spatial of a structure.
Moreover, as an interior and spatial designer, you have to understand the needs of your clients before you proceed to do any work. Work simultaneously with your client to ensure you are still on the path you both agreed.
2. Architectural Technologist
Practicing as an architectural technologist will need you to implement your science and engineering skills to create strong and sustainable constructions.
You will be required to use both computer-aided design and traditional drawing methods to formulate and present design proposals to clients and also educate them on technical matters.
Architectural technologists work in architectural and engineering firms, however, most of them work independently, providing skilled services directly to customers. No doubt Architectural Technologist is one of the top careers in architecture.
3. Building Surveying
Building surveying is one of the top careers in architecture that is marketable.
Building surveyors examine the quality and the condition of structures and advise on ways to improve them.
They renovate and restore existing structures while taking preventive measures to protect and sustain the buildings.
They critically survey buildings, taking into consideration the construction errors and rectify them to prevent disaster.
4. Structural Engineers
Structural engineers are creative architects. They examine, design, plan, and study structural components and systems to ensure the safety and comfort of occupants.
They are more concerned about safety, technical, economic, and environmental factors.
Structural engineers use mathematics and science to plan, design, and supervise structures to know which one will stand the test of time and survive the pressure of environmental factors.
source for the right and quality building materials to meet the design requirement.
5. Landscape Architecture
Landscape architecture is one of the top careers in architecture that are marketable, as opportunities are endless for landscape architects.
Landscape architects design beautiful and usable public places, gardens, public parks, trails, plazas, residential areas, campuses, and playgrounds.
They determine the location of buildings, roads, walkways, flowers, and trees, etc. within the environment.
They also use conservation design practices to conserve and create wildlife habitats.
Landscape architecture integrates art and science to improve the environment and people’s lives.
6. Town Planning
Town planners ensure lands are actively used to meet economic, social, and environmental needs.
They oversee the management and improvement of cities, towns, villages, etc.
They bring the demands of housing, industrial development, agriculture, recreation, transport, etc. to a balance to allow relevant development to take place.
Town architects are always consulted before lands are used for anything.
7. Industrial Architecture
Industrial architecture is concerned with structures constructed to meet the needs of industries. Industrial architects oversee the construction of industrial buildings such as factories, warehouses, foundries, water towers, breweries, refineries, power plants, etc. Industrial architects are in high demand as developing countries are building new industries and transforming the existing ones.
Drafters develop technical drawings and plans. They use software to transform the designs, rough sketches, specifications, and calculations of architects into technical drawings.
Workers in the production and construction sector use these technical drawings to build everything.
Drafting is one of the top marketable careers in architecture as architects in other fields depend on drafters for technical drawings.
9. Green Building And Retrofit Architecture
Green building and retrofit architects design new buildings and retrofit existing ones. They endeavor to protect air, water, and earth by choosing eco-friendly building materials and construction practices.
Green building architecture helps in protecting occupants’ health and improves productivity. It also helps to reduce waste, pollution, and environmental degradation.
Green building architects design and construct with the environment in mind. They are high in demand as people are now drifting back to nature and natural elements.
10. Production Designing
Production Designing is also one of the top careers in architecture that are marketable. Production designers are responsible for the visual concept of a film, television, or theatre creation.
They identify a design style for sets, locations, graphics, props, lighting, camera angles, and costumes while working closely with the director and producer
They draw sketches showing mood, lighting, composition, color, and texture, which are given to the art manager to develop.
Production designers are cashing out good as there is tremendous growth in the entertainment industry.
Architecture is a good career path if you know how to play your cards well. I hope you have benefitted from the information provided in this article.